Thursday, 30 June 2011

A Nice Chat with the Family Research Council about Homosexuality

In an earlier blog post I talked about a conversation I was having with a correspondant from the Family Research Council about homosexuality. That reponse raised more than a few questions for me, so I sent another query to them:
Dear Kathy,

Thank you for your earlier reply. There are a few things I would like to clarify with you about the options you've presented to me.

1. What are the "truths" which would discourage someone from becoming homosexual? How do you know that sexuality is something that a person can be scared away from? I would also be interested to know if it's theoretically possible to scare someone away from being heterosexual as well.

2. What exactly is this homosexual lifestyle which I would be leaving? What does it involve?

3. Which empirical data states that homosexuality is harmful to all who engage in it? Does that apply to men and women and does homosexuality affect someone negatively even if they abstain from sex for a time?

Again, looking forward to your response and appreciating your feedback.

Thanks in advance,
Emily
Well, the reply I got back to that amounted to nothing more than the FRC shrugging their shoulders and waving their hands around trying to distract me rather than giving me any direct answers:
Dear Emily,

Thank you for responding to my email.  You ask some very important questions.

The truth about homosexual behavior is that it is biologically unnatural and that it leads to many, severe health and psychological problems.  Please refer to our brochure "The Top Ten Myths About Homosexuality" for detailed information: http://www.frc.org/brochure/the-top-ten-myths-of-homosexuality.  You will also read information in that brochure about those who have had unwanted homosexual attractions being able to get rid of those attractions. 

Emily, I believe the brochure that I mentioned will answer all of the questions that you asked in your email.  For further information, we highly recommend contacting any of the following organizations:

Exodus International
www.exodusinternational.org

Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays
www.pfox.org

National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality
www.narth.com

I hope we have been helpful to you.  Please do not hesitate to email us if you have any further questions or would like to discuss these issues further.

Sincerely,

Kathy Athearn
FRC Correspondence
These sites are filled with flawed case studies, baseless emotive rhetoric and countless logical fallacies. So no, Kathy, you haven't been very helpful to me here. I sent another email to try and seek a clearer response:
Dear Kathy Athearn,

RE: message 1669070, I noticed you haven't answered any of my questions and neither did any of the links you kindly offered me. Since you obviously work in a demanding role for the Family Research Council, you can offer me an expert analysis of the questions I've asked rather than trying to overload me with information about my illness. For ease of communication here are my questions:

1. What are the "truths" which would discourage someone from becoming homosexual? How do you know that sexuality is something that a person can be scared away from? I would also be interested to know if it's theoretically possible to scare someone away from being heterosexual as well.

2. What exactly is this homosexual lifestyle which I would be leaving? What does it involve?

3. Which empirical data states that homosexuality is harmful to all who engage in it? Does that apply to men and women and does homosexuality affect someone negatively even if they abstain from sex for a time?

Lastly, Kathy, I'd like to hear why you feel justified to inflict distress to the point of self-injury and even suicide on young people who did not choose their sexuality. I don't want you to try and distract me with questionable case-studies - I want to hear what you think directly.

I will take any silence or refusal to answer as confirmation of this organisation's values of superiority and ultimately an attitude of hatred. Rest assured that I will not be slow in communicating this information to various blogs and media networks across several subjects which will not reflect positively on the FRC. If you can provide direct and reasonable answers for my questions perhaps their stance will be more positive.

Patiently awaiting your response,
Emily
I eagerly await their response to this. It would certainly be interesting to hear how they will find a way to weasel out of this reply too if nothing else.

2 comments:

  1. Can you rule out the possibility that they are, in fact, demonstrating a subtle approach to the betterment of humanity? Why, after not even as much as skim reading their pamphlet I already became convinced that I am a far better person then I previously believed, with corresponding benefits to my self esteem of course. Granted the reason I failed to even completely skim-read their pamphlet was that it made me want to track them down and strap them into a chair before carefully explaining how to evidence your work and what constitutes good research, but surely these occupational risks only show their selfless devotion to the cause of my self-esteem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's extremely subtle if they are trying to better us all... Maybe it's just a troll gone too far?

    ReplyDelete